Friday 5 June 2009

The Hours

I’m pretty much a morning person. I love the sense of purpose to the way people dress in the morning- it is so honest and full of promise. What we decide to wear in the morning reflects our days agenda, which is why I think work wear is such an important part of the wardrobe.

There is something very positive about people’s appearance in the morning- the time and consideration that has gone into the decision for the day ahead. Each outfit is hung with a sense of pride and preparedness. By the end of the afternoon, the shirt sleeves may be rolled up, a scarf or tie removed and hair ruffled a bit, but in the morning our clothes have a dutiful quality, ready to serve us well for the rest of the day.

This is what I think to myself anyway, on my journey into work.

Living in France has made me appreciate this all the more. No-one does chic work wear like the French. Its amazing. I find myself filled with inspiration every morning, confirming my belief that the way we dress is really no laughing matter. In France, clothes are treated with the maturity, respect and sophistication they deserve. A woman’s wardrobe is no playground- there are real issues to be considered.

What we wear in the evening is more open to abuse. It’s less constrained by this sense of functionality and I sometimes think that this makes it more vulnerable. Under the cover of darkness, people feel a bit more daring and adventurous, which is fun, but the clothes lose their dignity and well-meaning. We are less respectful to our clothes, hitching things up and leaving buttons undone. Evening wear is about attitude and spectacle.

The worst of all is the morning after the night before, when in spite of our best efforts, the fun of the previous evening drapes clumsily across our morning attire, we look like shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment